* Remove your jewelry before you swim in chlorine or salt water.
* Remove your jewelry before participating in activities that will cause you to sweat a lot.
* Wait to put on your jewelry until after you have applied lotion, makeup or perfume.
* Remove jewelry if you will be bringing it into contact with something hard. (For example, take off your ring before lifting weights.)
* Store your plated jewelry where it won’t rub against other hard substances (a soft bag-one per piece of jewelry-is ideal).
* Wipe your gold plated jewelry after each use, using a soft cloth to remove any dirt or debris.
* You may also soak it for a few minutes in warm, soapy water and dry it with a soft cloth as needed (or a soft toothbrush to clean small cracks and crevices).
* If your jewelry is tarnished beyond what a good cleaning can remedy, all is not lost. You can breathe new life into your jewelry by having it re-plated, or you can plate or replate jewelry and other products with an 18 or 24k gold plating kit.